The definition of locum tenens, roughly translated from Latin, means “to hold a place.” Locum tenens physician assistants fill in for other PAs on a temporary basis for a range of a few days to up to six months or more. When a healthcare employer faces temporary staffing shortages due to vacancies, illness, or other causes, they hire locum tenens physicians and other part-time clinicians to fill those vacancies.
While most PAs hold permanent, full-time staff positions, the locum tenens trend is growing. For health care employers, the advantages are simple: these PAs can fill temporary staff shortages dues to illness, vacations and other causes; these PAs can relieve doctors of administrative and other responsibilities; are a cost-effecitve option with a high degree of patient satisfaction. But what are the advantages to for a PA to shy away from a permannet position to choose a locum tenes lifestyle.
Here are five reasons why working locum tenens might be right for you.
1. High demand. Demand for locum tenens PAs outstrips supply, so you can be sure to find as much work as you are available to take on.
2. Great pay. In addition to often getting paid a higher hourly rate than permanent staff, the staffing agency pays for your flights, rental cars, and housing while you are on assignment.
3. Clinical experience. You are able to get experience in a variety of clinical settings. Temporary positions can double as working interviews that can lead into a long-term permanent job. Plus you are able to see if the enviorment, staff and responsiblities are a good fit for you if you are seeking a permanent position.
4. Work-life balance. In many ways, you are your own boss. A PA may choose locum tenes fulltime because it allows freedom to choose when to work and when not to. You control your own schedule so you can easily make room for other activities — vacations, family time, etc. You choose when, where, and for how long you accept assignments.
5. Agency support. The right staffing agency can match you with positions and places you want to pursue. Lyle Health will evaluate which opportunities meet your career and lifestyle objectives in order to find the perfect fit for you.