The University of Kansas Health System is a world-class academic medical center and destination for complex care and diagnosis. We are driven by our commitment to service, to continuous improvement and to the highest degree of excellence. Every member of our team shares an unwavering commitment to put patients first. We offer a wide array of career opportunities, along with competitive pay and outstanding benefits. We invite you to join us as we continue to advance the power of academic medicine.
Position Summary/Career Interest
The Advanced Practice Provider (APP) in the Psychiatry Department manages Behavioral and Mental Health problems and coordinates health care in specialty settings within that department. These APPs deliver patient care and medical services to individuals, families and groups by utilizing standards of care in accordance with State and Federal rules and regulations to assess health status, diagnose medical conditions, develop medical plan of care, implement treatments and evaluate patient responses in collaboration with collaborative/sponsoring physician as described in a Collaborative Practice Agreement.
1) Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and technical competencies of assigned practice setting within the Psychiatry Department.
2) Able to evaluate medical problems of clients in the assigned specialty practice setting and appropriately requests consultation of other specialties when indicated.
3) Provides education to patients and/or families about preventive care, medical issues and use of prescribed medical treatments and/or medications pertinent to the patient’s condition.
4) Creates diagnostically appropriate treatment plans
5) Documents all medical evaluation, diagnoses, procedures, treatments, outcomes, education, referrals and consultations consistent with NCQA, The Joint Commission, state regulatory standards and evidenced-based standards of care. Maintains documentation compliance for appropriate coding and billing.
6) Facilitates evaluation of records by physician(s), peers and quality standards according to protocols and receives and implements constructive directives.
7) May refer complex and high priority cases to collaborating physician with regards to complicated diagnostic problems, serious illness, complicated therapeutic problems and re-evaluation of chronic conditions.
8) Provides medical and emergency interventions appropriate to the client’s needs; prescribes and monitors medications appropriate to the diagnosis; orders and monitors the appropriateness of emergency interventions.
9) Maintains collegiality with all members of the inter-disciplinary team.
10) Utilizes appropriate chain-of-command and communicates with specialty practice Program Director, APP Director and Medical Director of any clinical issue and contributes to quality improvement or process improvement as necessary.
• Copy of the current advance practice license for the State of Kansas and/or Missouri (depending on practice locations) – PA or APRN
• Advanced practice certification required. APRNs may obtain within one year of date of hire; Specific certification may be required depending on specialty
• BLS Certification required
• Age appropriate training for “population served” may depend on APRN/PA program training and may require additional training as determined by the department.
• Previous APRN or PA experience is desired.